Saturday, April 19, 2008

What to do when students can't/don't follow instructions

Here is the prompt/Scenario:
The instructor requires peer review attendance/participation and an instructor-commented initial draft needs to be included with the final packet of drafts/materials. The particular assignment discussed here also ends with a reflective writing component about the assignment.

Of the 22 students, 10 included an instructor-commented initial draft, and 12 did not. 10 included the reflective writing, and 12 did not. Finally, only 2 students included all components of the assignment, so it was not a case of the same 10 students getting things wrong. This was not the beginning of the semester, so including multiple drafts is not a new idea. Also, the instructor's syllabus allows for an F if all components of an assignment are not included, but does not mandate an F.

My Thoughts:
I'm not a hundred percent sure what I would do, but I will discuss a few options and my reasonings as to why I may choose that particular option.

Option 1: Come into class the next class period, firmly place the folders on the desk, and make a statement, something like: "If you can't or choose not to follow basic instructions on what must be turned in with your final drafts then I choose not to waste my time grading them. You may choose to resubmit your papers with the necessary elements and late points will be assigned according to the syllabus." At this point I would either continue on with the class or simply walk out. If I stayed in the class I would not answer any questions about what was missing, I would make them find out from fellow students who actually know. I don't know if I would actually walk out of the class, but I've heard about it happening before and have heard it can be quite effective. I would consider this option because I think it proves a point but at the same time it allows the students to fix what they didn't do. I want my students to succeed, but I don't want to be taken advantage of.

Option 2: Grade the papers and assign a certain number of points to the pieces of the puzzle (the drafts, etc.) and after I have given a grade for the piece, subtract the points they were missing for the other pieces to show them that it makes a difference and maybe they will remember next time. The downside to this is that if it hasn't been done before they may fight you on it, but at the same time, if you are consistent with the amount of points for each "piece" and apply it to everyone there isn't much they can really do and you could point out that according to the syllabus you could have given them an "F."

Option 3: Give the "F" to those students who didn't include all pieces with the final. If it clearly states in the syllabus that an "F" can be given to papers if all components are not there. At this point, students should "know the drill" so just because you may not have enforced it earlier doesn't mean you shouldn't now. I for one tend to be a little more lenient on the first few sets of papers handed in, but by now there is no excuse. Giving the "F" would teach them a lesson they may need to learn.

Those are my ideas although I am not sure which I would do. I would have to think about it and decide what message I want to send because each sends a different one. Something does need to be done, they shouldn't all just get away with not turning things in but it depends on what extreme it should be addressed.

No comments: